An excerpt from the book, “Pensacola’s Finest,” available on Amazon
By Mike Simmons
The Civil War brought, among other changes, the buying and selling of many properties. Two years after Lee surrendered, the Pfieffer brothers – Henry and George, owned the “Old Market House” at the corner of Palafox and Main Streets. After the war, most of the city – like the rest of the country – was in chaos. The police department was no exception. From 1867 to 1882, the Pfieffer brothers allowed the city to rent a room there for use as a temporary station house and jail until a more permanent solution was arrived at.

